2016 has been a challenge…
But if it wasn’t, would we ever grow?
There are enough articles out there about how awful 2016 seemed – and while yes, it had its negative moments… lets end the year on a high note. Shooting explosives into the sky, cheers-ing friends & family with champagne, and a loud WOOOO for good measure 🙂
Reflecting back on the year, I know I’ve grown.
- I’ve celebrated 2 years in a new company that I had no previous experience in, in an industry I’d only looked at for personal fun, and found success in it
- I’ve experienced new relationships, which has taught me more about who I am as a person and what exactly I want in life
- I’ve watched my nephew and niece grow into their own personalities (princess has semi-learned how to kiss and attempted to kiss me through the video chat today) It seems silly, but I do find its important to create a relationship with them at this young of an age, regardless of how many miles separate us from each other
- I’ve traveled to 3 brand new countries this year ( Turks & Caicos, London, and France (and had a Guinness in the Dublin Airport)) along with 3 return visits to favorite islands (Jamaica, Barbados & Bahamas)
- I finally got to scuba dive with my dad after a 5 year hiatus
- I was able to share my work life with my family (I’ve been lucky enough to have done this each year except 2015, so finally getting them on-island with me was a real treat) and get them to experience New Orleans
- I actually finished a few books this year – (The Closer; Mariano Rivera, Bad as she wants to be; Thea Devine, Deadline; Sandra Brown, re-read Inferno; Dan Brown, Backspin and Fade Away; Harlan Coben, An Abundadnce of Katherines and Paper Towns; John Green) and however many more I can’t remember
- I ran my SECOND RunDisney race to collect a grand total of 6 Disney Medals
- I attended Mardi Gras, JazzFest, French Quarter Fest, Ponchatoula Strawberry Festival, June under the Moon, A Beyonce Concert, A Monday Night NFL game (Falcons @ Saints),Scales & Ales, Brews & Boos and had a blast with the new friends I’ve made in NOLA
- I got crafy and built myself a garment rack with power tools
Take all the negative societal issues out of the picture (actors who passed away, how the election played out, miniscule negative moments in your life like being dumped the morning after your birthday, or the other relationships that didn’t work out) and reflect back on YOUR life. It was pretty great wasn’t it? Funny when you take out the things you have no control over, how our perception changes.
For 2017 I’m not going to focus on a “negative” in my life or make a resolution to change my social appearance. I plan instead on being kinder to others, following God’s plan, and wearing more lipstick. Little things that will make a big difference in others lives, my overall well being, and my confidence. Those are things I can control.
Cheers to the New Year!